Recently, I have been thinking of the innumerable blessings I have in my life and those that I continue to be given each day. No matter how unfaithful or faithful I am to the Lord, I realize the things He has done for me outweigh for eternity any good or bad in me! That is overwhelming to think, isn’t it? The fact that what God has accomplished for me is so great that it completely dwarfs anything I have done or will ever do truly gives me a peace “which passeth all understanding.” It gives me motivation to live a life that can be called worthy of such a great calling. It gives me the freedom to live all out for Christ because in Him, I have already won!
Jesus Christ has done so much for us, right? But have you ever taken a moment to actually list the awesome things we have in Christ?
Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 1:2
1. In Him, we have everlasting grace and peace. He showed us and continues to show us grace and mercy, and it is that very grace that reconciles us and gives us an all-consuming peace in our lives.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: Ephesians 1:3
2. In Him, we are spiritually blessed. We have been blessed with a hope of eternal and spiritual things once again! We were made as spiritual beings, but our sin separated us from the Spirit. Thankfully, Christ has restored that to us once again.
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Ephesians 1:4
3. In Him, we are chosen. Before the foundation of the world, we were chosen in Him. We are special. He loved us and knew us, before we ever made a decision to follow Him.
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, Ephesians 1:5
4. In Him, we are adopted. Not only did He choose me, He chose me unto adoption. He wanted to bring me back into the fold. He wanted me to be a part of His kingdom once again. He loved me even when I was lost in my sinful ways, and He planned to bless me himself.
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Ephesians 1:6
5. In Him, we are accepted. Through the Beloved, we have been accepted and reconciled. Now, we have the distinct honor of being a shining light of His glory, mercy, love, and grace.
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Ephesians 1:7
6. In Him, we are redeemed. How did all of this happen? How did He accomplish this? How were we reconciled? The magnitude of His grace was shown through His humble sacrifice on the cross, which cleansed us by His innocent blood. The law that required death as the wage for sin was broken because we forced our sinless Savior to die without just cause.
Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; Ephesians 1:8
7. In Him, we have wisdom. We see that in Christ we receive and experience the riches of His grace, and that same grace is so great that it abounds to give us wisdom as well! We gain wisdom and prudence in our life because of the work of our Lord.
Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: Ephesians 1:9
8. In Him, we see His perfect will. The wisdom we gain from our Lord is much greater than just having a deep understanding of the things in our life. The wisdom we gain from Him is a revelation. God reveals the mystery of His will to us. He reveals to us His perfect will which works to glorify Him by His grace and love and justice and truth, etc. If we choose to explore that will, it would grant us an immense and amazing understanding of His eternal wisdom that relates to all things.
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: Ephesians 1:10
9. In Him, we have unity. We fell. We were lost. We were born into this world separated from God because of our sin. We experienced the great despair of living without our eternal and loving Lord, but by His great sacrifice, He brought us back! In His time, we will see that which was separated, unified once more. All in heaven and on earth will live in harmony, once again! Praise the Lord!
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: Ephesians 1:11
10. In Him, we have [are] an inheritance. As adopted sons and daughters in Christ, we have been blessed with His kingdom. He loves us and gives us all that He has. We are His treasure, and He treats us so.
That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. Ephesians 1:12
11. In Him, we have common purpose. He chose us. He predestined us. He adopted us. We reign as part of His heavenly Kingdom, and consequently, we have been blessed with the same purpose! I am His treasure, and as such, I will strive to fulfill His perfect will. My life will be lived to edify and build His kingdom through all that I do.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-14
12. In Him, we have been eternally sealed by the Holy Spirit. To comfort us on this wretched earth, our Lord has promised to live within us till His return! He lives inside us and gives us the power to battle the wiles of the Devil. The moment we choose to believe and trust in Christ, is the moment we are sealed with His Spirit. The Holy Spirit within us is a promise of His return that will finally restore us into His glorious presence.
That return will ultimately give us the inheritance we humbly wait for, but until then, I will faithfully work to glorify Him for all that he has given me. Only in Christ, will we find blessings that start now and last till eternity! We find in Him hope for today and for tomorrow. Only in Christ, do we find a life complete.
Can you add anything else that we have in Christ to the list?