Recently, my wife and I bought a house and with it comes a lot of responsibility. For a solid month we ignored our yard and what became of it was monstrous. The grass was extremely tall and the yard was completely covered with weeds. One evening we decided to pull each and every one of those weeds and believe me it was a never-ending struggle. All we wanted was our lawn to look good, especially in the eyes of our neighborhood.
Sounds like our life huh?
We want to look good in the eyes of other people. We want to stand out and have good things. The best things. We want to hide the mess. Just like those weeds. Every time we pulled one weed out we felt another weed popped up. Weeds are the sin in our lives. How do we take care of it? Are you lacking the moisture that is needed for your life to grow in the eyes of the Lord?
A certain parable comes to mind; the other day I was dwelling on a passage. It was the Parable of the Soils.
And when a great multitude had gathered, and they had come to Him from every city, He spoke by a parable: A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some fell by the wayside; and it was trampled down, and the birds of the air devoured it. Some fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold.” When He had said these things He cried, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear! | Luke 8:4-8
In the passage written above there are four types of soils mentioned: What are they?
- Luke 8:12 “Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved”
- Are we the ones that just hear and walk away from it all?
- Luke 8:13 “But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for awhile and in time of temptation fall away”
- Are we the ones who have no solid foundation?
- Luke 8:14 “Now the ones that fell among the thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity”
- Are we the ones that love the world?
- Luke 8:15 “But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word of God with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience”
- Are we the ones that hear and become doers of the Word?
Now let me ask you, which soil are you? Which soil is reflecting your life right now? The Lord has given us a precious seed, are we using it to grow? To bear good fruit? Are we fighting those weeds that pop up and make our hearts ugly and filled with sin?
Friends, the word of God is that seed and we need to arm ourselves with it. A friend shares “Look you have the power of understanding. You are endued with it. It’s a gift. But you choose not to use it. Are you seeking information and desiring to be taught? Or are you settling into a habit of selective hearing?”
Let’s not settle but be filled with the knowledge and wisdom the Lord gives us. His word is so precious and the key to growing on rich soil, HIS SOIL!
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.